Saturday, October 8, 2011

Candy Corn, Candy Corn, wherefore art thou Candy Corn??!!

Finding safe Candy Corn for Alexa has been impossible!! I've looked all over the internet and talked to many people in the allergy community but alas that tricky Candy Corn has alluded us.  I heard A&J's Bakery in Rhode Island had some peanut free! Yippee!! They ship it and they still have inventory-YES! then... No.  They contain egg white.  Why? Who knows...it's not a required ingredient as far as I can tell but they use it so it's out for us.  Next, I heard Jelly Belly has peanut safe Candy Corn-YES! then....no.  Not tree nut safe and it contains modified soy protein..not for us. BOOO and I mean BOO! This is starting to bug me.  I then heard about Candy Corn Flavored Dots.  We bought them, we tried them, we didn't like them.  Alexa and Nick ate them but they're not REAL Candy Corn so to me it's no substitute.  I'm on a mission and in my typical Average Allergy Mom style, if I can't find it-I make it.  I have no idea what I'm doing or if they will even taste like Candy Corn but I'm going to give it the old "college try".  I also found out I can make them "fondant style" or candy maker style (very involved process!) so I haven't decided which I will do yet.  I may try both. I'll post my results when I'm done.  This could get interesting.  Hopefully I'll figure it out BEFORE Halloween. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment